ONLY $7.00

(includes shipping)

Page 1  Page 3  Page 4  Page 5  Page 6
If you have a photograph and story you would like to appear in our online Gallery, mail it to the address at the bottom of this page (sorry, we cannot return submitted photos) or e-mail an electronic image and your story to 
Please mark "Gallery" in the subject line when using e-mail. If using Canada Post, please mark "Gallery" on your envelope.
Taken December 1, 2003 at the base at Camp Wainwright at approximately 0900 hours. The buck is a 6x7 with one brow tine and he green scores 198 5/8.
First time I ever hunted Camp Wainwright and it won't be the last! Taken with a 300 Weatherby magnum, 165 grain reload. Not bad for an hour of hunting.

All the people were driving around on the first day so we decided to sit and let the other hunters move the animals to us. A cow and calf moose came running across the cutline first and then 10 minutes later this mule deer and another one of his class ran across the cutline. A hunt of a lifetime. It took 2 weeks to get that grin off my face! 

- Mike Kociuba
After waiting 6 years for a mule deer tag in southern Alberta, I was finally rewarded with this fella. After the third stalk on him and two of his buddies, I waited an hour sitting in the snow till my whistling convinced him to leave the bush to take a look. He scored 175 gross non-typical and 170 net. 

- Kevin Pack
My dad had just got drawn for moose during the calling season in WMU 350. We decided to make a trip for 3 or 4 days up by Slave Lake. We hunted the burned area for a little while but didn't see much. We decided to go set up and look around for a little while. It was about 9:30 in the morning and we saw a big bull - it must have been more than 1000 pounds it was huge! My dad got ready to shoot but couldn't pull a shot off, the moose turned around in the bush and walked away. About 2-3 hours later my dad and I were walking down this old cut-line and we saw another bull. It was a little smaller but it was too smart for us.

A couple days went by without seeing anything except mule deer and chickens. We decided to lay off the moose for an hour or two and go chicken hunting. The couple days we were there we didn't see much but we needed to get this moose tag filled. So we made another day available to go up there for one last chance. This time we made a moose call from a Heinz tomato ketchup can and a hockey skate lace. I had my mule and white-tailed deer tag so I was hoping to see a buck. We met up with my Uncle in Westlock and started heading up to Slave Lake area again. We got up the same area that we were at last time and saw nothing in the morning except a nice buck that I really wanted to get but we were here for moose. We were just about to go down this cut-line when this warden pulled up and asked to see all our licences. I asked him if there was any moose being seen and he said that he hadn't seen anyone take a moose out of there yet this year. He gave us key chains and wished us luck as we started down the cut-line. I had the homemade call with me and I was practicing my calls as we heard a reply. I kept calling as we were trying to find somewhere to set up. We saw a spot right above a valley where we set up and I kept calling. We heard the moose running through the bush fast as I kept calling. Then the movement stopped. I was puzzled for a while and then I turned around to call some more and there was a bull standing 50-yards away staring right at us. My dad loaded the rifle and kept calm as the moose slowly walked towards us. My dad was taking his time and then all of the sudden the rifle went off, the moose flinched and started to run down the valley about another 25-yards and then he collapsed.

This was my dad's first moose and mine too and we were just amazed and excited. My Uncle has shot many moose in his lifetime that this was just another regular hunt for him. This was a great experience for me and my dad and I recommend if you can go for bigger game than deer go for it because it is much more exciting. 

- Darcy Taylor
This photo is of my son Nicholas taken in May 2004. Myself, Nicholas and my brother Barry spent our May long weekend on a wild boar hunt.

This is our first experience with wild boar, having hunted elk, mule deer, and whitetail for a number of years. The animals were extremely skittish, only giving us a shot for a brief moment before running off into the short scrub.

The weekend was a great time, and we all enjoyed our time away from the city, and Nicholas had a great time being 'one of the guys'.

These are some of the toughest creatures I have ever seen. One took two 12 gauge magnum slugs to stop it at under 40 yards, with no exit wounds! 

- Mark Shykula
This summer was our four-year-old son Janson Pashniak's first fishing trip to the lake. These pictures were taken of him at Tucker Lake, Alberta and the first Pike he caught. He was so proud and it was the biggest one caught that day. 

To his surprise, as he reeled the fish close to the boat, he backed up and almost dropped his fishing rod, but with assistance he was able to get him in the boat. 

- Dean & Roxanne Pashniak
My name is Curtis Kay. I thought you  might want to take a look at this spring black bear. He had an official score of 21 4/16 and weighed in at 730 lbs. My friends wanted me to send you some pictures.

Note: This bear was taken near Rocky Mountain House and should rank around #14 all-time for Alberta. Way to go Curtis!
Having spent quite a bit of time scouting for moose and deer in my hunting area, all I had seen was a cow moose with two yearling calves. The night I went out, I spent some time calling on one hay field for a while and got impatient thinking there would likely be deer on a field a mile or so away. I left the area and after being unsuccessful there too, I came back to the original field just before dark and found a moose standing a couple hundred yards from where I had been calling.

The head of the moose was obscured by the tree line, as it so often is, and at first I could not tell whether it was a cow or a bull. I jumped out of my truck and gave a couple of cow moans. The moose was interested but showed no signs of coming in. I tried one bull grunt and he turned and walked away. I told my friend who was with me, “Well, if I don’t know what it is, I’m not going to shoot anyway, so lets go a little closer for a look before dark.”

At this point the moose was making his way through a wide break in the tree line and towards another field. As soon as he entered the trees, the dark contrast of those trees gave away his set of antlers. As I got closer to the area, I assumed he had jumped into the willow patch in the trees and I wouldn’t see him again. I inched my way out of the other side of the trees and there he was, standing not more than 50 yards away, perfectly broadside. I lifted my rifle and the .30-06 did the rest. The moose dropped where he stood. Later examination showed that I had hit him in the neck and probably killed him instantly. 

By the time I got settled down enough to take pictures, the remaining daylight was gone, but the memories are still as bright and clear as ever. My first bull moose turned out to be a pretty amazing animal. 

- Peter T. Braun
These deer were taken last November on a tent hunt. Left to right: Shaun Clement, Randy Clement and Daryl Meager. We did our homework and it paid off. Great year in 2003.  - Randy Clement.

Note: Boy! We will certainly agree to 2003 being a great year. Way to go guys!
This Whitetail was taken on Nov. 24, 2004 by myself at 9:00 a.m. in WMU 351. After walking through an old cutblock I crossed a strip of bush covered in deadfall that led to a creek bed. This creek separated into two creeks. After crossing the first creek I made my way into the trees and deadfall on the other side. As I approached the bank of the other creek bed I decided to stop and take a break from walking and just listen to the sounds around me. Within a minute of me stopping I heard a branch break and immediately became alert to my surroundings. About 30 seconds later this buck walked out in front of me, crossed the creek and came up the other side to where I was waiting 25 yards away. What a spectacle? This is only part of how he got his name, the other part is that I lost my glasses (spectacles) while hauling him out of the bush.  

Hope you enjoy this photo of my 2004 buck "Spectacle"!

- Your Alberta Hunter, Brian Paul
This buck was taken on November 16, 2004, just east of  Edmonton. I wasn't even going to go out that day, but changed my mind once I got off school and made it to the woods by two o'clock. I saw a couple of does, did some rattling, but I wasn't really expecting much until just a few minutes after sunset, when I heard a branch break on the edge of a little patch of brush I was circling. I looked up and I saw this buck at 50 yards and knew immediately he was a shooter. I got a good dose of buck fever and blew a 50 yard standing shot. Fortunately, he never moved, and after forcing myself to calm down, my next shot was right behind the shoulder. He took off into the open and although I was sure he was hit hard, I shot again for good measure, which rolled him right over. 

I knew he was big right from the start, I just hadn't realized how big. Even from right up close you didn't get the full effect of the antlers because his body was so damned big. After that, all that was left was a six kilometer drag of a 280 lb (est.) deer with no snow on the ground. Fortunately, I was able to call my father for help, but it still took four or five hours.

We've green scored him at 195 NT but it's tough to tell how to score him due to his heavy palmation. Over 50 inches of his score is from circumference measurements. When my dad asked how big he was when I called for help, all I could say was that I'd seen a lot of smaller moose.  - Tristan Folinsbee
This is a few pictures of the buck that I took with my bow on November 2, 2004. This was my first deer I ever shot and it probably won't be my last. But it was a very exciting hunt. Even if he wasn't the the biggest buck in the field.
I got into my blind at about 3:30 and didn't see much. Then at about 4:55 p.m. I saw this guy walking up the trail. I quickly grabbed my bow and waited for what felt like an hour for him to get within range. Finally at ten yards I drew my bow. He got startled and jumped to about twenty yards and looked back at me. That's when I fired. He was hit good in the heart and didn't run far before falling down.
This was my first deer and I would love it if you put my deer on your site.  - Adam White

Congratulations Adam. Your first deer is one that will always be remembered.
My daughter and I don't get to do many things together but we do hunt together and it is one of the chances we get to bond. In November 2004 we were in a tree stand that my buddy Jim and his son Stewart and my son Dustin built. This was not just an ordinary stand; it was built over 30 feet high to clear the brush and was constructed with my daughter in mind. We can sit 2 lawn chairs in it so we are comfortable when we wait for the big bucks.

We saw a doe and a small buck early in the morning and later a doe and a fawn followed by a good buck. They came out over 300 yards away and went into some scrub brush. I told my daughter that they might circle around and come out in front of us. Ten minutes later the doe and fawn appeared. I told her that the buck would be right behind and right on schedule the buck appeared. I told her I would grunt and the buck would stop and for her to take the shot as soon as the buck stopped. It was just like you see it on TV except she missed clean. The deer turned and faced her and I told her to shoot again. This time her aim was good and the deer went down.

She took the buck with her Ruger 30-06. She took this buck the first Saturday of the hunt but still showed up the rest of the season to push bush for those of us that hadn't got our deer. 

- Grant Simmons
It was the morning of November 19, 2004. I was on my third full day of hunting in WMU-500. There did not appear to be sign of a heavy rut at this time.
On the third morning waiting on the same cutline, finally a doe stepped out 200 yards away. I had taken a doe 2 weeks earlier so I was prepared to pass her by. She progressed across the cutline and out walked this beauty buck that I knew I was going to take before I even scoped him. One shot with my .308 put an end to his reign.
He has a 19 inch inside spread. I was even more thankful that I was able to share this experience with my father. The man who taught me to hunt in the first place, many years previous. I was so exited to have taken such a beautiful buck, that I sent him to the taxidermist without even scoring him. My guess though, is between 145-155.

Here is an update!!
My taxidermist has finally given me a gross score of 159 1/8 for my '04 buck. Hope to see him grace your website.

Thanks, Dwayne Treichel, Bonnyville, AB
This is a picture of me and my dog hunting ducks with my dad and my brother. This was my first year hunting ducks. I got lucky and got a couple of ducks with my 12 gauge that my dad let me use.

My dog's name is angus and he is a 10 year old chocolate lab. He is an awesome duck dog. I would appreciate if you put my pick on this site because I like your site.

- Andy Grombacher
We have given this bull elk the nickname of "Unicorn Elk" and it's quite obvious as to why we nicknamed him that. Only a few weeks before me (Russell Muraski) and my partner Chris had harvested this elk he had read about an elk like this that had been taken up in the Edmonton area I believe.

We are not sure what Chris's elk will score but it is a 5x4 elk. It is the first elk that Chris had shot in his life and it was quite the experience at that.

We were hunting in WMU 312. We took the elk on October 29. It was the first time we had gone out since opening day for early elk. There was no snow on the ground and the temperature for that day was supposed to be about 5 degrees Celsius. So it wasn't turning out to be a good day to see elk.

Me and Chris were walking around the bottom of this hill on a trail. It was about 15 minutes into legal shooting time when suddenly I spotted a light brown figure in the trees below us. "Chris what's that," I said. "Oh it's only a rock," he replied. Then he brought his scope to his eye to make sure it was a rock when suddenly he said, "Russ it's an elk but I can't tell if it's a bull or cow." So I took a quick look through my scope and I discovered that it was a bull because all I could see in my scope was antler. "Shoot! It's your bull!"

Without a moment's hesitation he fired. Then the bull turned and ran about 100 yards and fell. The elk was about 150 yards away when he made the shot.

Meanwhile I had my gun up and ready to see if my cow would come running out, but nothing came. It was just a lone bull. When we got up to it we couldn't believe what we were looking at. A unicorn elk.

That is indeed a true trophy!
For More Gallery Stories and Photos click here for page 3

Sports Scene Publications Inc.
10450 - 174 Street, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5S 2G9
Phone: 780-413-0331 • Fax: 780-413-0388

Privacy Policy

© 2016 Sports Scene Publications Inc. All Rights Reserved